Family

Family

Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Daughter's House--After the Tornado

Tuesday was my daughter's 27th birthday.  Lauren and her young family live in a small town.  Her husband surprised her with an overnight birthday trip to Memphis.  They took their 6 month old daughter with them on Tuesday and left the two older boys with the other grandparents in a near-by town.  While they were in Memphis, instead of their planned activities,  they had to stay in the hotel room as tornado sirens were constantly going off.  At about 3 A.M. on Wednesday morning they started receiving calls and texts inquiring as to their safety from friends and neighbors who didn't know that they were not at home.  They were told that a tornado had hit in their small community.  As the weather was still bad, they stayed put.

As the morning progressed, more and more phone calls came in and my son-in-law made some calls himself.  They were eventually told that their home had been hit.  They then left Memphis and  headed home to see how bad the damage was.   As they headed home they received more calls and texts from friends and family who were at their home trying to protect the contents.  They were told to prepare themselves for the worst.  Each time I talked with Lauren she became more emotional.  So very hard!!

Jeff and the older children then decided to make the trip down to see how they could help.  When Lauren arrived home she called me.  She said, "Mom, I can't believe what I am seeing!"  I am told she did a good job of keeping the tears in throughout the busy day.  When they arrived most of the furniture had been removed from the house.  Lauren didn't know that much of their belongs were fine and that friends had taken all they could to a warehouse where it was safe and sound.

As the day went on she found out that the laundry that she had done and left sitting in the den folded in five laundry baskets was still there and still dry.  Puzzles in the play room were still intact.  The three year old's mattress had been lifted off the frame by the tornado.  A beam was in the crib where the two year old sleeps.  The roof and ceiling of the part of the house where the children's bedrooms are was completely gone.

These are pictures that Devin took of Lauren and James' home.  How grateful to God we are that they were not at home.  If they had been at home, this would have been a day of sorrow as we most likely would have been preparing for one or more funerals.  The Lord truly was watching out for them.
Lauren and James' home

Part of the yard

Master bedroom...ceiling is sagging, but it is still there.

to the left was an enclosed garage...not enclosed any more...to the right was the laundry room

garage to the left, laundry room to the right

play fort is still standing

this is the guest room...with a view of the sky!

The boys' room

the kids bathroom

the baby's room

the office (the front entrance)

the kitchen (all the new appliances were able to be removed!)

the dining area

the den--roof and ceiling remained so their belongings in here were ok!

downed trees

more outside damage

the outside storage building where Lauren's Christmas things are stored
I am sure today they will continue cleaning and preparing the rental property they will be moving into and then going through their belongings to see what remains.  Friends took bedding and clothing to wash and fold for them and I am sure they will have many offers of help for the other work.  Please continue to pray for them as they work to put their lives back together.

18 comments:

Mrs. Stam said...

This is a hard post to read, Praise God that they are all safe and sound, my heart is braking for the devastation, I prayed for them and wished I could do more!

Cindy said...

Praise God they are all okay!!We will keep them in our prayers.If they get money for their home..I suggest a storm shelter.When the Moore Oklahoma tornadoes 9 years okay went thru and destroyed sooo many lives and homes.Storm shelters were offered as part of the rebuilding.Tell them to take it..they are cheaper during this time than later on.

Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Unknown said...

So thankful your family is safe. The pictures are a precious way to remember God's protection. Thank you for posting these.
Keep up the God work.

Kim said...

Speechless~the pictures say it all. Praise God that the damage was only for "stuff" that can be replaced and that your family was safe! Will be keeping them in my prayers along with all of the people affected by these storm in the south.

Blessings~Kim

Kids and Canning Jars said...

I am so grateful they were not at home. A tender mercy form Heaven Father for sure! They have a long road to recover for sure. Please let the blogging world know what we can do for them.
Melissa

Shanda said...

Oh Anita, I am so sorry but praise God that He went before them and they they are physically safe. My prayers go out to the community.

Kimberly @ Raising Olives said...

I'm so sorry for Lauren and her family (and for you as you watch your daughter deal with this), but very thankful for God's hand of protection on them. Praise God it's just stuff!

Please let me know if they have specific needs as we have an abundance of many things!

Unknown said...

Yes, Praise God for His protection! I'll keep them in my prayers.

Sarah said...

i am crying as i read this. may the Lord bless your family mightily. praise God they weren't home.

homeschooldawn said...

So sorry for their material losses. I can't imagine and am praying for them. Praise the Lord they were not at home. We were hit hard in our area too. A neighbor's home was severly damaged, and they were away at the time. God was mericful last night.

A Mother's Love said...

Praise God! So thankful she has a wonderful husband who planned a trip...and saved their lives. I'm so sorry about their home, my thoughts and prayers are with them. Our family lives in Birmingham, thankfully they are all okay.
Kelley

Mary said...

How heartbreaking :( Praise the Lord they are all OK and only "stuff" was lost. Praying for all your family.

Anonymous said...

Anita,

I couldn't read the story. The pictures were enough for me to tell the story. I will be praying for your family . . . I am very grieved for your loss. :(

-L. Rose

Unknown said...

Anita, I got chills when I read your comment on my blog and tears in my eyes as I read this - grateful for God's Providence that spared your precious family!! Rejoicing with you despite the trials ahead - I'm sure they will seem overwhelming in the days ahead, but just keep that perspective you shared with me! Just another opportunity to glorify the Lord among the lost as your family walks the walk! Will continue to pray.

Trish said...

Such awful devastation.
Praising the Lord that your family was kept safe!!
blessings..Trish

Deborah said...

It was good that they weren't home when it happened. Sorry that they have to endure this though. Difficult on the emotions.

Cassandra said...

Lady Rose sent me over from her blog. I am praying for your family. *hugs*

Sunshine said...

I read about your blog at Joyful Always - I wanted to let you know we will be praying for you, your daughter and her sweet family and for their neighbors as well. Sunshine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...