Family

Family

Monday, May 2, 2011

Recipes to Use Up That Buttermilk







     


I mentioned yesterday that we would be cooking a lot for the freezer this week as Lauren lost everything in her refrigerator/freezer during the tornado.    I have about 2 1/2 gallons of buttermilk in the fridge and will be making lots of goodies with it this week.  I also have a new recipe for a buttermilk pound cake that is served with a buttermilk custard that I will be trying out.  I will post it if it works out!  With the exception of the salad dressing, all of these recipes freeze well.  


Buttermilk Cookies from The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook

1 c. margarine or butter, softened (I use butter)
2 c. sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. nutmeg (I was out and used allspice, but just cinnamon would be fine)
4 1/2 cups flour (I used a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose)
1 c. buttermilk

Cream butter and sugar together.  Add beaten eggs to the creamed mixture.  Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl;  add to creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk.  Drop dough onto a well-greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.  (I also make an eggless version for Aaron)

Buttermilk Pound Cake

2 sticks butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 c. all purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 c. buttermilk

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.  Mix flour, soda, baking powder and salt.  Add gradually, alternating with buttermilk.  Add vanilla and mix well.  Pour in 2 well greased loaf pans or one Bundt pan.  Bake at 350 for one hour.  About 45 minutes if using loaf pans.  (I always double this recipe and freeze one---It is wonderful spread with cream cheese and  slightly sweetened strawberry puree)


Buttermilk Pie

2 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
4 eggs
3 T. flour
3/4 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400.  Cream sugar and butter, add flour and eggs alternately.  Add vanilla and buttermilk.  Pour into two unbaked pie shells.  Turn oven down to 350.  Cook for around one hour or until pie is no longer jiggly. ; )  And, as usual, I double this recipe and freeze.


And, just so you don't think that all we eat around here are sweets, here is a delicious buttermilk dressing for your fresh garden salad.  You won't want to go back to the store bought dressings once you start making your own.

Ranch Dressing

In a bowl, whisk together:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 t. dried parsley or 1 T. chopped fresh
1/2 crushed pod of garlic (I never crush 1/2 pod...use the whole thing!!)
1 t. dill weed

I think it tastes better if it sits overnight or several hours in the fridge.  Seems to thicken up as well.


Do you have other recipes that use buttermilk?  I would love to try them out!  Please share in the comments section.  Thanks!!










A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I am probably showing my ignorance here, but I'm going to ask anyway. Would it work to use sour raw milk in place of buttermilk in these recipes? I have experimented with that a couple times but thought I would ask someone who might know better than me. Thanks!
Blessings,
Rashel

Anita said...

Rashel, I use my soured raw milk to make cottage or ricotta cheese. I just leave in on the counter for a day or two until it separates into curds and whey. Then strain. I used it in my beef enchiladas and lasagnas. And we haven't been sick yet!

I've tried making buttermilk with the soured raw milk and haven't been successful.

My Serenity Craft Shack said...

Anita,
Do you use the buttermilk as the milk you reseve after making butter or do you let it ripen first? I know there is a difference between the cultured buttermilk you buy in the stores and what is left after making butter, I have been wondering if letting it ripen makes it the same as the cultured. BTW, I am LOVING the homestead blessings I won from your contest. Next I am getting dairy delights!:) Continuinf prayers for Lauren's family. It's such a blessing to see that she has has such wonderful people around her to help out!

Unknown said...

Thanks Anita!!
Rashel

Anita said...

Mamaof4, so glad you got the DVDs in and are enjoying them!!! When I separate the cream from my milk I leave it on the countertop for about 20 hours to culture. Then I put it in my Bosch to whip it up into butter. I then pour off the buttermilk into quart or half gallon jars to refrigerate. It thickens up almost like store bought buttermilk, but I have a friend who drank some and didn't like it 'cause it doesn't taste the same. Most of the dairy products DON"T taste the same because they don't have thickeners , etc added to them.....Just dairy!! I am finding that using the buttermilk in baking produces some mighty fine eating!!

If I pour the buttermilk off uncultured butter, it doesn't seem to thicken at all.

Nancy said...

Love the pound cake recipe. Am going to have to try it for sure. Serve with strawberries and cream, of course. :)

My Serenity Craft Shack said...

Thank you! Now I am headed to separate my cream and set it on the counter and give it a try this way! ~Renee

Trisha said...

Visiting from Far Above Rubies....we use buttermilk a lot, and I always have it on hand. Thanks so much for more great recipes to try!

Dana said...

Can't wait to make some of these! Thanks for stopping by today. I love using buttermilk in everything especially pancakes

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

Love ideas for using up my raw milk buttermilk, and these look good. Can we get a link back to the hospitality carnival, though? thanks!

Nicki said...

Thanks for sharing the buttermilk ranch recipe. I've been looking for one that's not too complicated. I've been making my own buttermilk from a starter and enjoying it for lots of things, including biscuits and pancakes!

Unknown said...

my kids love this buttermilk ranch dressing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...