Family

Family

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Beans!

Ever since my canner came in the mail, I have been brainstorming ways to make fast foods with the canner.  One basic that I have done now is turkey broth which will be the basis of a soup and used in casseroles and much more. I hope to can lots of soup, chili, spaghetti sauce and sloppy joe meat soon.

I have also canned pinto beans!  Canned pinto beans have been the basis of a few meals lately and we have really enjoyed them.  One of our favorite ways to enjoy pinto beans is refried beans.  Devin always makes these and they are really tasty.  She takes a quart of beans and puts them in the blender with some salsa (homemade or store bought), some cilantro and cayenne pepper.  She may add salt and garlic if needed.  She pours this into a casserole dish and mixes in some sour cream and tops with cheese.  Into the oven it goes to be heated until the cheese melts.  We've enjoyed these as a side dish with tortilla chips and as a filling for burritos.  Cheap, easy and filling!!

Another recipe using dried beans is a lentil-rice casserole that I adapted from Sue Gregg's Main Dishes Cookbook.  This is a very easy recipe and I can use my home canned chicken or turkey broth.

In a casserole dish combine:

3 cups turkey or chicken broth
3/4 cups uncooked WASHED lentils
1/2 cup uncooked WASHED brown rice
1/4 cup instant minced onion flakes
1/2 t. basil
1/4 t. oregano
1/4 t. thyme
1/4 t. garlic powder


Bake uncovered at 300 degrees for 2 hours until tender.  You may top with 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese if you desire.  I have never done this.  This recipe makes about 3 cups which is 4-6 servings.

This is a great recipe to use your food storage!  Canned broth, lentils, brown rice, minced onion and all the spices are essential to a great food storage plan.  I have been dehydrating onions and will have a great stock of minced onions for my pantry.

Do you have some favorite recipes using dried beans?  Please share a link or a recipe in the comments!

I'm linking up with Kim C over at In a Shoe.  She's not the only one who is trying to cut the grocery bill.  Lots of ladies have linked up some great bean recipes over there, so take a look!



2 comments:

TyKes Mom said...

Oh, I like this! I am always looking for basic recipes to help use stuff in my pantry. It is great towards the end of the month when I need to go grocery shopping in a day or two and have to get very creative.

Here is a link to "Depression Casserole" which is a big one to use up pantry goods. It is also lentils (but can use hamburger as well): http://the-north-forty.com/2011/04/01/why-wait-for-a-depression/

Kim said...

Good for you! I love being able to just pop the lid off of some home-canned beans~especially during the summer months when it's too warm to have the stove going all day! We make our own refried beans, but I'm going to have to try your recipe~sounds great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...