Family

Family

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What Are Your Favorite Children's Books?

Did I tell you that one of the most treasured things that Lauren and her family lost in the tornado last week was her collection of books?  Books that she has had since she was very young.  Jeff and I were young, too, and our taste in children's books has since been refined.  Lauren's collection consisted mainly of the classic Little Golden Books, Berenstein Bears and Sesame Street Books.  In fact, we had packed up the Berenstein Bears and Sesame Street books years ago as we didn't want to share them with the younger children.    She also lost her complete collection of Elsie Dinsmore books and many, many others.

Over the  next few months I thought I would search out the Goodwill bookstore, the libary book sale and other resources to start a new library for my grandchildren.   Some of my favorite children's authors are C.W. Anderson, Charlotte Zolotow,  Robert McClosky, Eric Carle and Alvin Tressalt.  I am busy helping to watch after the grandchildren for a couple of more days and don't have time right now to do a complete search, but wanted to ask you all for a favorite book or author that you think I should look for.  I am not limiting my search to the preschool years, but will be purchasing for the future as well.

Please leave me comment with one or more of your favorites.  I'll be doing post on some of my favorites soon.  Thanks for your help!!

9 comments:

Florida said...

Definitely Little House on the Prairie and The Boxcar Children.

hannah said...

A.A. Milne would definitely be at the top of my list! You know, Winnie-the-Pooh? :D And Laura Numeroff and Felisha Bond's "If You Give A..." books are wonderful! We love them, and we use to read them to the kids every night.

Pam said...

The Little House and Mike Mulligan both by Virginia Lee Burton.

Unknown said...

Austin really liked the Sugar Creek Gang series by Paul Hutchens. Also, he loved the 'America's National Mystery Book Series' by Carole Marsh.

Xander loves Skippy John Jones....not really an 'educational' pick though :)

My fave is The Giving Tree <3

Deborah said...

Different levels of Pilgrim's Progress.

Dusty (To the Moon and Back) said...

I know you don't know me, but I've recently become a follower of your blog. If you felt comfortable, my children and I would love to share with you all some of our children's books. They have been wanting to help some of the tornado victims, and I think this would be a great opportunity! We have quite a large selection and could absolutely send you some for your grandchildren! If you are interested, just send me your address at dusty.bug AT hotmail.com and we will send them out to you! God bless!

Sarah Smith said...

My oldest is only 4, but she loves Charlotte's Web and Mary Poppins. My husband loves reading to her from "Where the Sidewalk Ends". My daughter loves it, too, but I can't get past having to fix the bad grammar (which my husband does seamlessly). We also love "Augustus and His Smile" and "Little Cloud".

Roan said...

Also Maybelle the Cable Car and Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Burton. Sam LOVES all of those books!
Dr. Suess

The classic board books....Goodnight Moon, The Runaway Bunny, my mind is going blank right now! :)

The Brass and Woodwind Shop said...

One of my children's favorite book is "Farmyard Tales" by Usborne books. Back many years ago, I purchased the entire collection that comes with the audio CD as well. Everyone I know loves these books as soon as they read them.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Farmyard-Tales-Usbourne/dp/0794509029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304524557&sr=8-1


JanelleS
www.financiallyfree4ever.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...