Family

Family

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Making Granola-Large Family Style

 We were totally out of granola and as that is a favorite breakfast and snack dish in our home, Kaelan and I set out to remedy the situation.

24 cups of rolled oats

I find a large metal bowl indispensable for preparing mega-batches of food.


Kaelan measures out the oils (olive and coconut), the honey, vanilla, maple flavoring, and cinnamon.


We find heating it in the microwave helps us mix the ingredients easier.


Pouring the honey/oil mixture over the oatmeal.


Trying to get every last drop!



Now to mix it all up.


I added a little more honey.


Thoroughly mixed


A close up--Kaelan couldn't resist sneaking a few bites.




Spreading the mixture out on wax paper lined racks for the dehydrator.



My hand...the only shot you will see of me in this post!



Almost finished!


The dehydrator is ready to go!





a countertop full of granola


2 1/2 gallons of granola ready to eat!  The smaller canister has crushed walnuts and dried blueberries added.  Yummy!


Granola-from Sue Gregg's More Than Breakfasts 

Each recipe makes 8 cups.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 

Blend together in a large measuring cup:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
2 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon
2 t maple flavoring

In a large mixing bowl, mix:
 8 cups of regular oats
 1/4 cup of protein powder (I use rice protein powder from the health food store)

Pour honey-oil mixture over oat mixture until coated thoroughly.

Spread evenly in two 9 x 12 baking pans or rimmed cookie sheets.

Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  Let cool and store in a tightly closed container in refrigerator or freezer.



 I always triple this recipe and I add dried blueberries and crushed walnuts to a third of  the cooled mixture.   This granola is great  cold and served with milk or heated in the microwave with milk. Some of my kids eat it dry.    I now make this in my food dehydrator and it is even better than before!

Raising Homemakers




Also linked to The Nourishing Gourmet




10 comments:

The Jaracz Family said...

Love it! I'm sure you've seen the prices on a small bag of granola at the grocery. I'm going to have to make up a batch tomorrow. There's always oatmeal and honey in the house. :)

Shanda said...

Made your recipe today. Love it. Thanks!!!!

Gwen said...

I am going to try this tonight! Thank you for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

I love making granola! But for some reason, mine always turned out goopy... I'm gonna have to see if momma'll let me try this recipe out... It looks yummy! :D

HannR

Donna said...

This looks so good! I'm a new follower from the hop. I'd love for you to visit my blog and follow back.

Donna
http://potofgoldgiveaways.blogspot.com

-Heidi said...

mmmm thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

Yum. Does this have to go in the food dehydrator or is there an oven version? I do not have a dehydrator.
just wondering.
Keep up the God work.

Anita said...

Lori, the recipe as written is for the oven. I just put it in the dehydrator.

Thanks for stopping by!

Amie said...

I didn't think about using coconut oil. Thanks for the tip.

SparingChange said...

I was just talking to my stepsister about homemade granola and found your site this morning. I am looking forward to making this!

Great blog, by the way! I look forward to following.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...