Family

Family

Friday, September 2, 2011

Sweet and Sour Glazed Chicken and Vegetables--So Good!

I found the original recipe in a magazine ad several years ago and we really enjoyed it!  It's been a while since I have made it and I thought I had lost the recipe.  I am gathering up all my loose recipes and putting them in a box to organize at a later time  (yeah, right!) and found it!  I made it for dinner last night and it was just as good as I remembered.  Of course, I have tweaked the original recipe to feed my largish family and it works for all my children who have food allergies as well.  Another great thing about this recipe is that it cooks up pretty quickly...around 30 minutes for a full meal with fresh vegetables included!  This is enough for my family of 8 for one meal.  If you have a much smaller family, cut the ingredients in half or freeze the leftovers.  It's quick and easy!  And I won't misplace it again!

Sweet and Sour Glazed Chicken and Vegetables

6 T. cornstarch
3 1/2 cups chicken broth (homemade is best)
2/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (organic if possible)
2/3 cup honey (local)
2 T soy sauce (I omit this as one child is extremely sensitive to even the smell of soy sauce)
1/2 t crushed red pepper
8 boneless chicken breast halves
2 cups of thinly sliced carrots cut on the diagonal
1 thinly sliced onion
2 cans of sliced water chestnuts
2 cups of  broccoli heads--fresh or frozen

Cook 4 cups of brown rice in 8 cups of chicken broth or 4 cups of filtered water and 4 cups of broth.  Add one t. of salt to the water/broth.

Mix first 6 ingredients in a 6 cup measuring bowl.  Stir until the cornstarch is well blended.  Set aside.

In a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven cook chicken until browned.  Add onions and carrots.  Cook and stir on med-low heat for 3-4 minutes.  Add water chestnuts and broccoli.  Stir well and add the cornstarch mixture.   Bring the dish to a boil and then reduce heat and cover.  Cook on low for five minutes.  Serve chicken and vegetables over rice.


http://joshealthcorner.blogspot.com/2011/09/living-well-blog-hop-5.html


http://proverbs14verse1.blogspot.com/2011/09/heavenly-chocolate-and-link-up.html

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oooohhh....sounds fantastic! I had a special recipe for fajitas in an old Taste of Home magazine...couldn't find it for 2 years! Guess what I just found while rummaging around in an old cabinet? I'm thinking of framing the recipe and placing it on the wall...just in case! :)

jo said...

I managed to link up this post for you on the Living Well Blog Hop. Have a wonderful weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...