Family

Family

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Moist Delicious Apple Cake



There is a tinge of fall in the air and having two birthdays to celebrate this past weekend I decided to pull out a recipe that has been sitting unused in my file box for almost 20 years.  It has been sitting there, but not forgotten.  I have been haunted by the memories of this wonderful apple goodness that was shared with us after a dinner with friends in Georgia, but never did anything about it.  This weekend I did something about it.....and I baked this cake....but not just one!  No, I decided to bake two of them and put one in the freezer for another time.  Once I got started I wondered why I hadn't made it before...It was much easier than I thought.  Oh, yum!!  Just looking at the picture makes me want another piece, but alas, there is only the frozen cake remaining.  I will control myself!  

With fall quickly descending upon us and none too soon, in my family's opinion, I thought I would share this lovely recipe with you!  If  you decide to make this wonderfully rich and moist cake, please drop me a comment to let me know how you liked it.

Washington Apple Cake

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil (I used olive oil)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts
4 cups thinly sliced pared tart apples (I used Granny Smith)

Beat eggs with a mixer until thick and light.  (I mixed in my Bosch)  Combine sugar and oil;  pour into eggs with mixer on medium speed.  Stir together flour, cinnamon, soda and salt;  add to egg mixture with vanilla.  Beat to mix.  Stir in walnuts.  Spread apples in a buttered 9 x 13 baking dish.  Pour batter over apples, spreading to cover.  (the batter will be thick)  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.  (I baked mine for about 45 minutes)  Remove from oven and cool.

Make cream cheese icing.  Soften an 8 ounce brick of cream cheese.  Beat until fluffy.  Beat in 1/4 cup melted butter; then beat in 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 t. lemon juice.  Spread over cake.  Cut into squares and serve.  

If you are interested in more delicious apple recipes check this post.


A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.   Proverbs 25:11








4 comments:

Trixi said...

Oh, my, this looks so good.
We usually have access to large quantities of apples in the fall. A lady goes up North and brings them back but I have not gotten the email this year. I need to check on that.
I can't wait to try this one.

Mrs Mary Joy Pershing said...

Oh my! That looks SOOOO yummy! I am sure the whole family enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Blessings!!!

Anonymous said...

My mother in law makes a cake that is very similar but instead if the cream cheese icing she makes a vanilla sauce to drizzle over it. Now I'm craving apple cake!

Lisa said...

My Grandma used to make a peanut butter frosting for her apple cakes. It was very good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...