Family

Family

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Homeschool Tip Tuesday- Distracted Phonics Student

Today Jackson was having an especially hard time focusing on his word lists in his phonics lesson.  He was having a difficulty focusing on each individual word and would put in a letter sound not found in that word, but in the next one.  It took me a little while to figure out what he was doing...I was quite distracted as well.

In desperation, I grabbed a stack of sticky notes that was on the table near us and wrote each word on one sticky note page.  Only one word per page and no more distractions.  What had become very frustrating for both of us was quickly completed with a very simple solution.

After 23 years of homeschooling I am finally learning some nifty tricks!  I readily admit that I make mistakes daily with each of my children.  Each of my children is so very different in many ways.  Sometimes it takes a while to understand how to teach each child in a way that he needs.  And then, many times those methods change as the child matures.    There is so very much to learn in this homeschool journey...and the lessons are not all for the children, are they?

Hip Homeschool Hop Button


4 comments:

Annika said...

Hi! I'm visiting from HHH. Great idea! I'm always looking for little tricks to pull out of my hat too :)

Rebecca said...

Thank you for this post...and linking it to HHH! I have three children...all three are different, but the middle, she is the most...and I have to be so creative...some days, I just run out....of steam. I am thankful I found you and will follow for more inspiration!

momsmustardseeds.blogspot.com

Canadagirl said...

Yes, after teaching 4 boys how to read it is amazing what you learn even to the last child. *grin* Thanks for sharing your tip.

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary

Laurel said...

I so understand! I've been homeschooling for 20 years ... 12 kids ... and my 2 youngest are in 3rd grade, so I have many years left.

Just last year, though, I was finally able to say, "Yea. All of my kids know how to read." as I'd been teaching reading for 20 years straight.

Then ... last week ... I discovered I am expecting again. Oh my! Looks like I have MANY years of homeschooling left.

:) :) :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...