Family

Family

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Got Milk? Recipes Needed!

        





I told you last week that we've got milk...lots of it.  I am making butter and buttermilk, yogurt and yogurt cheese and hope to try my hand at cream cheese and mozzarella later this week.  I am using the milk to soak our fresh ground wheat the night before mixing and baking it into fresh bread.  The texture is very much improved from either the soaking or the milk.  Normally we use water, but this is much better.
The buttermilk is going into large quantities of biscuits and pancakes.  This week we'll be making lots of buttermilk pies and pound cakes to share and for the freezer.

Even with all that we are doing, we still have lots of milk....and we rarely drink it!  Maybe if I get some Ovaltine the kids would drink it. ; )  Anyway, here is where you come in!  I need recipes for buttermilk and milk and maybe even some tips in making butter, cheese or yogurt.   Oh!  How about some ice cream recipes!  That would be great as we approach warmer weather.

I can't wait to see the recipes you all share here.   Just look below and you will find Mr. Linky.  Just click and follow the directions to link up from your own blog or leave me a  note in the comment section.  And if you are in the neighborhood stop by for a glass of milk and a slice of home baked bread with fresh butter and jam.


10 comments:

Kids and Canning Jars said...

Make some ice cubes of milk and use it in smoothies, you could do the same with the homemade yogurt. Freeze it in icecube trays for smoothies. Once a tray if frozen break out and put into bags. You can get a ton of milk frozen this way. Hope it helps. Plus soups do not forget the soup. You could barter fresh milk for something else you may want from a neighbor or friend. Melissa

Jill @ The Prairie Homestead said...

I wish I had more ideas for you, but I'm curious myself to see what people have to share! We got our first milk cow this weekend and she is due to calve in July. I'm already anticipating "too much milk" myself! What a good "problem" to have, though. :) Thanks for sharing this at the Homestead Barn Hop.

Abbi said...

We are about to have the abundant milk season as well. I linked up my post on Yogurt and my sister's on Kefir. I hope you find them useful.

We also make cheese, drink a lot, use it in baking and you can freeze it. I don't freeze milk but I do freeze the whey that is leftoever from cheese making. It is great for using later in baking.

Unknown said...

I popped my raw milk label up there. We bought a cow last year that was supposed to be bred & dried up, but was instead open and lactating. I had a crash course in all things milk related & posted what I did. There is our favorite yogurt (the best in the world I'm told ;D). traditional mozzarella, mesophilic culture cubes, corn chowder, buttermilk, and maybe that's it- I can't remember. She did dry up and now I'm waiting until July to pick back up with that business. I'm new here, visiting from the Barn Hop so I don't know if you have chickens or pigs, but both love milk. Gonna go explore your blog some more now, looks as though we might have a lot in common :)

Kim said...

Oh how I wish we had that problem! Someday...sigh...I linked our Vanilla Bean/Banana Ice Cream recipe...so delicious! In fact, I think we may be enjoying some dessert tomorrow night! :)

Michelle said...

I'm new here too just popped over from Homestead Revival.
Just thought I'd share a couple of ideas, my children love having milkshakes and a family favourite is rice pudding or you could try Sago(otherwise refered to as Tapioca or frogs eyes!!!) I have made my first batch of cottage cheese this week and it turned out great;o)I am very interested to see what everyone else suggests.

Michelle - Blessed Mom of 5 said...

Hi! I added my homemade yogurt and sour cream recipes. We have tons of milk also, so I make smoothies for my kids almost every morning with the yogurt. They love them and you can make them so healthy, adding in your favorite fruits and even some spinach!

Tonya said...

Hi!! I love milk recipes, esp using raw milk. I have several more I'd like to make: egg nog and some others, but haven't yet. I entered 3 that I have done. Thanks for the fun link-up.

Far Above Rubies said...

Thank you for sharing and linking up to Domestically Divine.

Have a blessed week.

Jasmine

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post and a place to find lots of recipes to help with an abundance of milk. I have that problem right now and knew I had read of someone else recently requesting help but couldn't remember which blog, I'm so glad God helped me find this post. I'm looking forward to trying some of these recipes.
Blessings,
Rashel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...