Family

Family

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dehydrating Carrots


Jeff got me a dehydrator for Christmas this year.  I know, we are so romantic, but really, I don't do frou-frou!  I am mostly all about practicality, and I actually asked for the dehydrator.

I have been making granola, but that's about it so far.  Until last night.  I usually buy a five pound bag of carrots from Sam's every other week, but I decided to start buying two bags and dehydrating one for our long-term storage.

I diced up all five pounds and put them on waxed paper on all five racks of the dehydrator.  After about 7-8 hours THIS is what I had.




The whole process was rather easy.  I cut the ends, scrapped and diced the carrots.  They were then blanched for about 3 minutes, before I spread them out on the dehydrator trays.  I slept while they were in the dehydrator!  Then this morning I took them out and weighed them.  Five pounds of carrots became.......6 ounces of dehydrated carrots.  Amazing!  I hope to keep on with the carrots, but also do potatoes and onions and maybe even a few more veggies.  I can toss a hand full of the dehydrated food into the soup pot for a very simple meal.

Have you tried dehydrating?  I will be doing yogurt in the dehydrator this afternoon.  I found the recipe in Nourishing Traditions.  I hope to do 4 quarts.  I'll let you know how that turns out next week!

homesteadrevival.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never tried onions or potatoes in the dehydrator, but I have done onions, apples, pears, and squash. I also tried tomatoes, but I was not pleased with that AT ALL! :)

Anonymous said...

I've dried onions, potatoes, and a few things like that, but I've never tried carrots. The onions are something that gave the whole house an interesting smell..lol...but they were nice to have on hand.

Dried apple slices have never lasted long enough to see how long I could keep them stored up.

I really want to try my hand at bananas because we love the ones I buy.

Anonymous said...

I've dried onions, potatoes, and a few things like that, but I've never tried carrots. The onions are something that gave the whole house an interesting smell..lol...but they were nice to have on hand.

Dried apple slices have never lasted long enough to see how long I could keep them stored up.

I really want to try my hand at bananas because we love the ones I buy.

Ginger said...

I managed to find a dehydrator at a yard sale for $8 & so far have only used it for beef jerky, but it worked great. I'll have to try this. I get organic carrots in a 10 lb bag from Costco for under $5 and am always looking for more ways of using them up. I was thinking of doing the same with organic frozen corn from there as well.

Twisted Cinderella said...

How cool! I Have never heard of dehydrating carrots!

Sandy said...

How long could you keep these? I've been wanting to dry apples for trail mix, but I haven't thought much past that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...