Family

Family

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Two Year Old Play--Beans and Gluten-free Play Dough


I am always looking for fun activities to keep my two year old engaged while I am working with the older children.  I am blessed to have some help from an older daughter a couple of days a week, but on the days when she is not available to help out, it can become a challenge.  My main teaching time is in the mornings when I gather everyone for our Bible reading and group studies.  I have to tell you that Caedmon does sit through our church services pretty well...and that is saying something!  We have a 50 minute prayer service with a 10 minute break followed by an hour and a half long worship service.  He is doing so well!  At home, though, there are more distractions and I need him QUIETLY occupied while not making much of a mess during our group time.

The other day I grabbed a canning jar box and poured about a gallon of dried beans in it along with a canning funnel and a few Measure Up cups from Discovery Toys.  I put them on the rug in our den and he happily plays with them for around 20-30 minutes.  I do add some other activities such as Melissa and Doug puzzles and Duplos for him to play with so he doesn't get bored during our time...which can last up to an hour and a half.  I do require him to stay on the rug and to keep the toys on the rug as well so that the mess is contained.  And yes, we do have to pick up and/or vacuum some stray beans, but that's a small price to pay for a contented two year old!





He also had a towel this morning as he took his bowl of baked oatmeal and a cup of rice milk with him to play!  Bedhead and worn pajamas just make it more fun!

Playdough hasn't been an option for Caedmon due to his wheat allergies as all the playdough products I have looked at are made from wheat flour.  I did come across a wheat-free version a few weeks ago and Kaelan happily made it up for us yesterday.  Look for the recipe at the bottom of the post!



Love how he is holding his left hand as he works with the right!

Say "cheese"!!
Wheat-Free Play Dough

1 1/2 cups of water
1 cup cornstarch
2 cups baking soda
food coloring

Mix all ingredients together in a 2 quart pot.  Boil over medium heat.  When it thickens and becomes doughy, remove from heat.  We did add about 1/4 cup more baking soda the next morning as the dough was still tacky.





2 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for the recipe! I nearly caused a crisis at Bible School last week when I took "normal" homemade play-dough for an object lesson and one of the children had Celiac's disease! Great ideas to keep your little guy busy...I may be borrowing the beans idea. :)

Trixi said...

So cute and creative.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...