Family

Family

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wanted: A Girl





We have started back with some tried and true writing methods this semester by using copywork, narration and dictation on a daily basis. It is working well for us and I am thrilled with two small books by Sandi Queen (http://queenhomeschool.com) that I purchased specifically for this purpose:Copywork for Girls and Copywork for Boys.

Kaelan, age 10, is trying to put into practice this sweet little poem for girls written by A.L. Byers. She has copied it several times and made it the cover for her assignment notebook. She wants to share it with the girls who will be attending our support group's annual father-daughter banquet. I am thrilled that we can use such uplifting works to encourage our children to be Godly men and women. Maybe you have a daughter or other young woman in your life with whom you could share this poem.

Wanted: A Girl

The Girls that are wanted are good girls-
Girls that are mother's right hand,
That fathers and brothers can trust in,
And the little ones can understand.

Girls that are fair on the hearthstone,
And pleasant when nobody sees;
Kind and sweet to their own folk,
Ready and anxious to please.

Girls that are wanted are wise girls,
That know what to do and to say;
That drive with a smile or a soft word
The wrath of the household away.

The girls that are wanted are good girls-
Good from the heart to the lips;
Pure as the lily is white and pure
From its heart to its sweet leaf-tips.

From Moral Lessons of Yesteryear, by A.L. Byers

3 comments:

Anna Elizabeth said...

yes, i know i am loved...it was a quote from his song..... and yes i don't need nick J. or many man in my life except my father for a few more years..... and Christ the only perfect man......

Laura at By the Bushel said...

So beautiful. I love that poem, 'boy wanted'(essay?) ... anyway, I'm goign to look up and pass on this about 'a girl' wanted. Thanks, as always, for sharing.

Debbie said...

beautiful poem. Well written. It is exactly what I want for my daughters! Thanks for sharing it. We also do narration, dictation, and copy work. Poem memorization is part of all of it and I have really enjoyed some of the poems they have memorized. I will have to write this one down and have my daughters memorize it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...