Family

Family

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Mamaw's House

As a child I loved going to my mamaw's house.  My mom was one of seven children and when we went to  my mamaw's house we always had cousins to play with.  There was a giant magnolia tree that we could climb and hang upside down from its branches.  There were hills to roll down, leaves to rake, dirt to dig in, a barn to explore, a pond to walk to, cows to feed corn cobs to, and, if our youngest uncles were nice (and they usually were) horses to ride.

 All of that was well and good, but mamaw's house was most special because mamaw was there.  My mamaw was a very special lady.  She had 20 something grandchildren, but remembered the favorite foods of each one and cooked accordingly.    She also loved to try out new recipes and always made the holidays special with scrumptious candies, cakes and pies.  She spoke my love language!!  She also loved her plants and spent lots of time in her flower gardens and watering and pruning her vast collection of potted plants.  Whenever she came to my house in her later years, she would go around sticking her finger in the pots and pulling off dead leaves.  I didn't inherit her love of plants!  Today, there are no potted plants in my house at all, but I am working on the outdoor flower beds and hope to put in a rose garden like she did.

Mamaw has been gone for almost six years and we all miss her.  Several years of living with alzheimer's took her before she actually died.  Mom now lives in mamaw's house and she is making special memories there for her grandchildren.  But to me, it will always be mamaw's house.






an old hay rake that my mom uses as a lawn ornament....in the summer some lovely flowers grow up the wheels






We recently spent the weekend at mamaw's house.  This house was built by my grandfather and completed around 1960.  Just four years before I was born and seven years before he was killed in an automobile accident.  The wooden walls were from his mill.  The bricks were laid by himself and his brother who was a bricklayer by trade.  Lots of family in each piece of this house.  I asked Jordan to take some pictures and he, with his somewhat unusual eye, took these.  At my mamaw's house.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...