Family

Family

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ravioli Soup--Um, Um, Good!

Still thinking about soup recipes over here and thought I would repost this recipe.  I haven't made it in a while and I probably should.  It is so good.  I think I will add some ravioli to my shopping list for today.  This would be great for the weekend and I will make extra for the freezer.


The following soup is a little unusual, but is very delicious and freezes well. In fact, the recipe comes from Once-a-Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg. If you try it, let me know how it turns out. I would love to try some new non-dairy soup recipes so if you have one or two, please share.

RAVIOLI SOUP

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup soft bread crumbs (I eliminate)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 t. onion salt
2 t. minced garlic
1 T olive oil
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes in puree
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 14 1/2-ounce can beef broth
1 c. water
1/2 t. sugar
1/2 t dried basil
1/4 t. dried thyme
1.4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 12-ounce package plain ravioli without sauce (frozen or refrigerated)
grated parmesan cheese

Brown the ground beef in a large pot; combine remaining ingredients except for ravioli and extra parmesan. Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool, put in container and freeze. 

To prepare for serving, thaw soup base and put in a large pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Thaw and cook ravioli according to package directions until just tender. Drain ravioli; add to soup. Salt to taste. Serve with parmesan cheese. Makes 6 servings. BUT YOU KNOW I ALWAYS DOUBLE THE RECIPE!!

1 comment:

Tonya @ My Homey Haven said...

Ravioli Soup? Yum...sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it! Thank you for linking up to my 10 Days of Warm Winter Soups series, I'm thrilled to find your site. I'm definitely going to stop back and read up on your homesteading posts. We're excited to be getting some chickens this spring and busy planning our garden this year. I'm hoping to preserve nearly all of the canned goods that my family consumes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...