Family

Family

Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Day of Work and Preparing

Down here in the sunny south, we are generally not geared up to handle lots of snow and ice.  Predictions are that we will receive 4-7 inches tomorrow afternoon/evening.  That's a big deal down here!  While the kids are excited about playing in the snow, moms and dads are busy preparing for what could happen:  loss of electricity, frozen water pipes and being snowbound.  I understand the grocery stores are a mad house and bread shelves are emptying fast.  It's a good time to think about being prepared for all types of emergencies.

Around here we have been doing just a little bit more baking today:  bread, cinnamon rolls and hamburger buns.  Jeff bought a much needed outdoor gas grill as our only cooking source is electric.  We are giving it a test run tonight with some steaks, but I can also cook soups and one pot meals on it.  Jordan has covered up the spinach and turnips in the garden with tarps.  Jeff took some time out to play some lawn tennis with the little boys while Kaelan is nursing a sore throat on the couch.  She's the third child to suffer from a sore throat this week and it is taking a couple of days for them to get over it.

Devin is giving the big boys a much needed hair cut.  That is one job that is very stressful to me!!  For a while I just took them to have it done, but I hate to spend money on hair cuts when we can easily do that at home.  Devin volunteered to take over that job with the bigger guys, so that is one less stress for me!

I am planning on making a couple of pots of soup tomorrow just in case....I have a turkey carcass in the freezer that will make a great pot of turkey vegetable soup and I will make a pot of taco soup as well.  Now I need to head back to the kitchen where I just overbaked some bread and cinnamon rolls.  Multi-tasking is NOT working for me today!!

1 comment:

Trixi said...

We, too, didn't have to go to the grocery but are doing some extra baking. If the electricity does go out, we will be using our camping stove. I have been doing lots of yeast rolls and cinnamon rolls are next on the list. Stay safe and I hope all of our kids get to see some snow and not ice!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...