Family

Family

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Check my school work, please!




Jackson is my four year old son...my sixth child and ALL BOY!! Having two older brothers who love to study (read) about history somehow trickles down to Jackson in the forms of weapons. He loves weapons-- guns, rifles, knives, and especially swords (my dear brother Chance is bringing Jackson and Caedmon their first REAL swords from Toledo, Spain for Christmas!). Jackson is always asking, "Daddy, when I get older can I please have a knife?"

He is very wiggly and I quickly realized that preschool lessons with him this past year were not worth the time and energy and tears...his and mine, so they didn't happen.

But this child will also sit and look at books all by himself for long periods of time...okay, maybe 10 minutes or so, but that is long for him. ; ) I thought he was just studying the pictures, but apparently he was also looking at the words....Lately he has been found with notepad and pen in hand writing actual letters. He always brings the pad to me so I can "check his school work"! Now that he is actually interested and will be officially old enough for --gasp!--kindergarten next fall, I will attempt again to do a few minutes of formal activity with him in January. If it works out great....if not, well there's always another day! I have listed his proposed course of study in our "What We Are Studying" section to the lower left of my blog. I am looking forward to our new resource Language Lessons for Little Ones by Sandi Queen. This will require some discussion between us and I hope to really be able to work with him during this time on some of his letter sounds that he still has trouble pronouncing. We have never had a child with speech problems, so I am quite in the dark here. If any of you have dealt with this I would love some advice on when to seek outside help, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...