Family

Family

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dis-com-bob-u-late

Discombobulate-to throw into a state of confusion.

I think I live in a perpetual state of discombobulation. Every couple of weeks or so I try my hardest to get our lives in order...make lesson plans, cook for the freezer, make menu plans, stock up on groceries, assign chores, keep the laundry mountain from erupting...all the steps that one would think of to keep life orderly, even for a large family.

But it doesn't work out that way. No. It. Doesn't. We have interruptions. Most are good, but get us sidetracked. Last fall, it was the birth of my seventh child. In the late winter of last year it was the surprise pregnancy. This spring, it seems to be anything and everything. We have had precious friends move away...and we joyfully helped pack and load (ok, just the guys and baby girl) and had a going away dinner. We had two weeks of stomach virus. We had visitors. We had our second grandson. Jordan started a job that takes him away from home half the day....and I had only a 16 hour warning. What about my lesson plans? He still has to do school, but now he starts earlier and does homework at night. But you see...I had made a SCHEDULE out for Devin, Jordan, Aaron and Kaelan for each hour of the day just a few weeks ago. This was not on MY schedule or in MY plans. But God's plans seem to be different. God is working on us.

Jeff's work away from home has greatly increased the last year. Now, it seems there are some exciting developments with his work that will require more time, more creativity and probably, more stress. His home business keeps him very busy...at least 2 hours a day...sometimes more. He also has other activities as well such as the symphony and tons of home and homesteading projects that are awaiting time and funds.

But I will count it all joy. At least we are busy. Our family is growing. We have friends. The stomach virus is gone. My husband has several jobs that he enjoys. My son now has a job where he is learning things that he can use in his own business one day...and he is getting paid well for it. These two baby boys born to us within the last six months are healthy. And beautiful...as are the rest of my children. God is faithful. I will chose to be like Paul. "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever STATE I am, to be content." Philippians 4: 11

Even if it's in a state of discombobulation.

P.S. Please remember to pray for Stellan and the whole MckMama family.

2 comments:

Roan said...

Anita, I left you a nice, long thoughtful comment last night. Just as I was trying to publish it, the rain starting flooding! and my internet just stopped. The joys of satellite internet! Anyway. I can totally relate to this word. Thanks for teaching me a new word. Discombubulation describes my life perfectly! I like to be in control (or at least think I am in control, of course I am really not!), and I think that is why I plan, plan, plan so much. But the plans can be forced to change in an instant---thanks to discombobulation! Maybe God uses His plans to gently remind us that our plans are imperfect....and do not always line up with His plans for our everyday lives.
Jordan's job sounds interesting. Email me about it sometime.
Thanks for the kind words at Raising Olives. A lot of my homeschooling, homemaking, and mothering wisdom I have learned from you! :)

Laurel said...

I just found your blog and look forward to reading more.

I have been married 27 years ... my oldest is 24 ... my youngest is 7 (but I would love it if the Lord would bring me a new baby). We've been homeschooling for 18 years, and have at least 11 years left (as my 2 youngest are in 1st grade this year).

My 5 adult children (20, 20, 22, 23, 24) would love to be married, and eldest daughter is definitely ready to be a mommy ... but the Lord has not yet brought them their life partners. I can't wait to be a Grandma.

After 10 bio. kids, we thought we "were done". However, last year the Lord blessed us with 3 children from Ghana (just about the same ages as our youngest 3 bios).

Yes, my life is definitely discombobulated. (I've always love that word.)

Blessings,

Laurel
mama of 13

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...