Family

Family

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Preparing for the Holidays

We are crazy busy here the last few days working hard on some decluttering, getting ready for a yard sale in a few weeks, preparing for a visit from my mom and my brother and his wife who have been away from the states for the last 15 months or so, dehydrating, canning, cooking, laundry closet makeover, painting, schooling and well, just life!!  I thought I would repost this from two years ago.  These are some of our favorite all-tiime holiday recipes and will be on the menu again for this season.  


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we were poor college students and Jeff was minister of music and youth at our first church a dear friend made this pie several times and shared the recipe with me when we left for seminary in Texas.  It has become a favorite and is much requested by my chocolate-loving children.  (Thanks for sharing ALL those many years ago, Debby P.!)  Jeff even won a men's baking contest with this pie at one of our churches.

Chocolate Chess Pie


4 whole eggs
3 cups sugar
one stick melted butter
4 T cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
12 oz can evaporated milk

Mix all in the blender and pour into 2 unbaked pie shells.  Place a cookie sheet on the lower rack of your oven to catch any drips.  Place the pies on the middle rack (or mid-oven) and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until set.  Remove and let cool.  These pies freeze well.



My mother-in-law introduced me to this recipe many years ago and it has become a must for me at all turkey and dressing meals.  I do omit the pecans as we have allergy issues with nuts!  This exact recipe is also from a former church member.  Church folks sure know how to cook!!

Cranberry Casserole

1 c. peeled raw apples, chopped
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 c. uncooked oatmeal
2 c. fresh or thawed from frozen cranberries
1 stick butter, melted
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Butter a loaf-shaped glass dish. Put a layer of apples, half of each sugar, half of oatmeal, and half of nuts.  Repeat layers.  (Oatmeal is next to top layer and nuts the very last top layer.)  Pour melted butter over all and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Serves 8-10 people.
I use a little less sugar and you can par-bake this and freeze so make your Thanksgiving morning a little less stressful!

I cannot remember a time that we have not had this pie at any holiday meal.  My mom made this pie when I was growing up and I gladly carry on the tradition.  It is simple and oh, so delicious.


Blueberry Cream Cheese Pies

2 baked pie shells
2 blocks of softened cream cheese
powdered sugar
1 can blueberry pie filling
chopped pecans
whipped topping

Mix some powdered sugar into the cream cheese until it is sweet enough to your taste.  Yes, you get to taste it!!  When satisfied, spread the cream cheese mixture into both pie shells.  You may then put on a layer of chopped pecans, if desired.  I do not unless my mom is coming!  Pour the blueberry pie filling over the nuts, dividing evenly.  Top all with whipped topping  and refrigerate until ready to serve.  Simple and so yummy!!  It is even great for breakfast the next day if you can eat it without your children seeing you eat pie for breakfast.  I can't wait!!


Sweet and Sour Green Beans


This is another recipe that I grew up with and it is so good!!  This recipe can be multiplied and you probably will need to if you are having a crowd or have a big family like me.

2 14.5 cans of cut green beans
8 bacon strips
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar

Fry the bacon in a skillet (iron works better).  Remove bacon, but leave grease.  Let cool slightly and add sugar and vinegar.  Stir until sugar melts.  Add DRAINED beans.  Cook until the beans are slightly shriveled.  Crumble bacon on top (if there is any left at this point!  My kids always sneak bites off it while my back is turned!!)  This is not a recipe for every day, but it is so good.  Perfect for a holiday meal!

Last night we had a simple turkey casserole that I pulled from the freezer.  Most of the children really liked it and Kaelan insisted that she MUST have the recipe for when she gets married.  I will share it with you now so that you can use it for your turkey leftovers.  As you can tell a lot of my recipes are not exact.  This is one of those.

Jalapeno Turkey Noodle Casserole
You will need 2-4 cups of chopped turkey or chicken.  Prepare 6 or so cups of macaroni.  Drain.  Mix turkey and noodles with 1-2 cans of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup.  Add some chopped jalapeno peppers, salt and black pepper to taste.  Pour into greased casserole dishes.  Top with grated cheese and a layer of buttered Ritz crackers.  Cover and freeze or bake at 350 until bubbly.  Instead of adding cheese to the top you can mix it in with the noodles and meat mixture.  Simple and easy!!


Now, I am off to get busy with the laundry and then to the kitchen where the girls and I will get some more of our cooking done and in the freezer.  I am so very thankful for my helpers.

Are you hosting a Thanksgiving meal in your home?  Do you go all out with table settings and decorations?  If you are posting about your Thanksgiving traditions leave a comment to let us know what you are doing!

Linking up with Mary Joy at Learning to Live a Surrendered Life.  Check it out for some wonderful Thanksgiving ideas.

2 comments:

Tonya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tonya said...

(If you could delete that comment when you're done with it, so my email is not visible like that, I'd appreciate it. :) )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...