Family

Family

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Yummy Oatmeal Recipes

I love cooking with oats.  According to Sue Gregg  in More Than Breakfasts, oats have one of the highest amounts of proteins and fats and give us lots of energy.  They are rich in iron, phosphorus, and inositol and have many minerals.  They also contain high levels of B vitamins and vitamin E.  Oats contain silicon which contributes to healthy hair, skin, eyes, and nails.    Oats also help lower cholesterol and are a mild laxative.

With all the many benefits of oats, it just makes sense to cook with them often.  We use oats for breading hamburger steaks and as a filler in meatloaf.  Here are some of our old and new favorite recipes for using oats.

This first recipe comes from Nourishing Heart and Home.  I will give the original recipe, but I have to tell you that when I mixed up this recipe last night I made several changes.  I was out of buttermilk, so substituted plain yogurt.  I also used coconut milk as I have some that needs to be used quickly.  Instead of eggs I used a powdered egg replacer and a pint of homemade applesauce.  I also put the batter in the refrigerator overnight so my soaking time was much longer than the original.   This recipe made over 40 full-sized muffins so we have enough for another breakfast and some snacks as well.

Oatmeal Muffins


3 cups rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup olive oil
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder


In a large bowl, soak oats, buttermilk and milk for about 15 minutes.


Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.


Fill greased muffin tins.


Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.


Makes 3 dozen muffins.






This next recipe was shared by a local friend on Facebook.   She loves to cook and shares some wonderful recipes.

Oatmeal Cake


1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
 2 eggs
2 cups cooked oatmeal


Cream together above ingredients.   Then add:


 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon


Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.


Add topping:


2 T. butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.




Overnight Apple Oatmeal

2 cups skim or 2% milk
2 T honey or 1/4 brown sugar
1 T margarine (we use butter)
1/4 t salt
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 cup dry rolled oats
1 cup chopped apples
1.2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1.2 cup fat-free half and half

1.  Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.
2.  In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except half and half.  Pour into cooker.
3.  Cover and cook on low overnight, ideally 6-8 hours.  The oatmeal is ready to eat in the morning.
4.  Stir in the half and half just before serving.





Baked Oatmeal  from Beverly Lewis' Amish Heritage Cookbook

1/4 cup cooking oil                                                  1 t. cinnamon
1/2 cup white or brown sugar                                  1 1/2 c. quick or rolled oats
1 egg                                                                        1 c. milk
1 t. baking powder                                                   1/2 t. salt

Beat together all ingredients with mixing spoon; pour into buttered 9 x 13 pan.

Bake at 275 degrees for 30 minutes or until done. 





 Granola-from Sue Gregg's More Than Breakfasts 

Each recipe makes 8 cups.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 

Blend together in a large measuring cup:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
2 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon

In a large mixing bowl, mix:
 8 cups of regular oats
 1/4 cup of protein powder (I use rice protein powder from the health food store)
1 cup chopped raw walnuts

Pour honey-oil mixture over oat mixture until coated thoroughly.

Spread evenly in two 9 x 12 baking pans or rimmed cookie sheets.

Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  Let cool and store in a tightly closed container in refrigerator or freezer.



  I add dried blueberries  to the cooled mixture. I also add in 2 t. of maple flavoring in with the liquid ingredients.   This granola is great  cold and served with milk or heated in the microwave with milk. Some of my kids eat it dry.    I now make this in my food dehydrator and it is even better than before!


      Raising Homemakers






5 comments:

hosted exchange 2010 said...

Nice Recipe! Will try it at home! Thanks!

Pam said...

I used this baked oatmeal recipe for our breakfast yesterday. (You had posted it earlier.) It was really good! ~ Monday night we had Devin's Chicken Tortilla Soup. It was DELICIOUS! Even my pickiest eaters were ok with it! (We still have recipes you shared at Keepers years ago!)

Michelle said...

My kids have been begging me to make more granola for them. I will have to try this one if I ever get the protein powder. Is there anything that could be used as a substitute for that?

Anita said...

I just put the protein powder in because I have a child with severe food allergies and I try to add in nutrition when I can. Thanks for stopping by!!

YoshiBlade said...

Thanks for this post about oatmeal. The baked oatmeal sounds quite interesting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...