Family

Family

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Reminded

I was reminded last night as I was reading a Dr. Seuss-type book to Jackson about how much I could actually teach a 5 year-old just by reading a silly book.  I pointed out letters and easy words that were  repeated.  We talked about rhyming words and I paused in my reading to give Jackson time to insert the word that fit. We counted items in the illustrations.  All this took place in just 20 minutes and the best part was that we snuggled together while doing it.  I am always amazed by how I forget the simple.  I spend so much time and energy trying to contrive activities that teach when all I really need to do is go about life walking, talking, sharing, teaching  and loving as we walk through our day.   The Lord continues to tweak and prune me as I go about my busy life.   This teacher continues to learn needed lessons.  I sometimes think that is why God continued giving us children.  If the Lord tarries I will have 40 years of home educating my children.  Maybe by then I will figure things out!  God is teaching me to simplify even further and to focus on what is most important--  developing a relationship with HIM, developing a relationship with the individuals in my family and learning to enjoy every moment.

2 comments:

Mother Hen said...

That's my favorite kind of home education. Natural, easy, low tech, stress free.

Kimarie @ Cardamom's Pod said...

How true! And another reason I love visiting your blog - because I need to be reminded as well! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...