Family

Family

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

This Week in the Great Lake States

This week we are studying those states that are in the Great Lakes area..Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. Our main focus will be reading Holling C. Hollings book Paddle to the Sea which tells the tale of a carved canoe making its way from the source of the Great Lakes through all the lakes and eventually to the Atlantic Ocean. We are also reading biographies of Henry Ford (Detroit, Michigan is the capital of the automobile industry) and today we are going to our local automobile museum which is huge! I have been there before, but the children haven't. The cars are lined up in several rows from the earliest days to the latest. I think they will enjoy seeing this museum and I hope to have pictures to post tomorrow.

We are also reading lots of great books about each state and I am reading a biography of John Kellogg, you know...Kellogg's Corn Flakes? Seems he was a little loony, but I haven't had time to really get into the book yet.

We will also study the dairy industry and will cap it all off with a fabulous dinner Saturday night. We are planning a cheese fondue dinner with a chocolate fondue and homemade ice cream dessert! My lactose intolerant stomach is already protesting, but I will enjoy the good eats!!

Hope you all are having a great week.

2 comments:

Roan said...

Hey Anita,
We are doing many of the same things this week, however, I cannot seem to find/make time for all of the books I want to read to the kids this week. Mainly Paddle to the Sea and a Henry Ford bio. We are reading Book 3 of Indian in the Cupboard for 30-45 minutes each morning (the kids beg for more!) and I guess there goes my KONOS read aloud time! Any suggestions?
Have fun at the museum today. We are not going.

Liesa said...

OH ANITA, HOW NICE OF YOU TO EAT A SCOOP OF ICE CREAM FOR ME! HA.
I LOVE STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM!!! I'M TRYING TO BE A GOOD GIRL,(NOT THAT YOU WERE BAD!) SO I'LL JUST HAVE TO STAY AWAY FROM THOSE KINDS OF PLACES! LOL.
YES, I CHECKED LORETTA'S BLOG OUT. SHE SEEMS VERY NICE. WE HAVE SOME THINGS IN COMMON. I LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING TO KNOW HER BETTER. HAVE A GOOD NIGHT. THANKS FOR THE COMMENT! HOPE THE ICE CREAM WAS DELISH, I'M SURE IT WAS.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...