Family

Family

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pizza, Stuffed Sandwiches and Cinnamon Rolls

This is a repost from a while back, but last week a local friend sent pictures of a pizza and stuffed sandwich her daughter ( I think she is about 12) made for her family using the following recipes.  She was very creative and I am sure her family was very blessed by the good wholesome food.  Thanks for sharing with me, Ainsley!!   Here are the pictures she sent along with the original post.  If you have used one of my recipes I would love to hear from you!

Mr. Pizza

Sandy the Centipede Sandwich

We eat a lot around here!  I've been posting so many recipes lately so I am sure that was no surprise.  The following recipe is one for which I  get lots of requests.  I have shared it with several friends who use it to make their own homemade pizzas.  One friend recently was having a very busy day and was expecting company for dinner after arriving home.  She called and asked if I could whip her up some pizza crusts and sauce so she could quickly throw together some pizzas to share with her guests.  I was very happy to help her out!

This recipe originally came in the cookbook that accompanied my VitaMix 15 years ago.  I have adapted it to use in my Bosch Universal Mixer as I dislike making doughs in my VitaMix.   As is normal for my family, I generally double this recipe.  I use this pizza crust recipe to make pizzas, cinnamon rolls and stuffed sandwiches.  Recipes follow!

Pizza Crust

1 cup lukewarm water
1 T. active dry yeast
2 t. sugar or honey
1 T. olive oil
1/2 t. salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour  (I use half all-purpose and half whole wheat)

In a two-cup measuring cup, mix water, yeast and honey.  Let sit to proof.

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  When yeast has proofed add to the bowl.  Add the olive oil.  Mix with a heavy spoon (or with a heavy duty mixer/food processor).  When mixed well, knead by hand or machine.  Hand knead on a flour coated surface for about ten minutes or by machine for 5.  Check for elasticity by poking with your finger.  It shouldn't be too dry nor too sticky.

  Place dough in a greased bowl to rise for about 20 minutes.

Punch down.  Divide in half if using for pizzas.  Shape onto lightly greased pizza pans, pinching up a collar around the edge to hold the filling.  Prick dough in about 6 places.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Let dough rest for about 10 minutes while the oven preheats.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Top with your favorite pizza sauce and add other toppings.  Bake for 15 more minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.  Serve immediately.


Italian Tomato Sauce (Pizza Sauce)  from Once-a-Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg

3 28-ounce cans of crushed tomatoes in puree
3 tablespoons sugar (I omit)
3 T. Italian seasoning
6 t. chopped, fresh parsley or 3 t. of dried parsley
3 T. dried basil leaves
3 t. garlic salt
1 1/2 t. pepper

Mix all ingredients into a heavy, large pot. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.    One cup of sauce will cover one medium to large pizza.  I freeze approximately 2 cups in baggies for later use.


Cinnamon Rolls

After you have let the dough rise, roll out the dough on a floured surface.  Make a rectangle that is about 1/4 inch thick.  Melt 1/2 stick of butter.  Spoon butter over the surface of the dough.  Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon.  Cover with brown sugar.  I don't measure!!   Starting away from you, roll the rectangle from the widest point towards you.  I generally slice my rolls about an inch thick with a knife.  Devin likes to use dental floss or thread for this.  She cuts of a piece about a foot long and places it underneath the roll.  She brings each side of the thread up and crosses them over the roll.  This makes a very clean cut.

Place the rolls in a greased baking pan.  Let rise for 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove from oven.  Make an icing with powdered sugar and butter or with powdered sugar and cream cheese.  You may need a little milk if the icing is too thick.  We make several pans at one time.  We under bake the cinnamon rolls and then freeze them in the pans for later use.

Stuffed Sandwiches 

This dish was inspired by the West Ladies on  The Homestead Blessing Baking DVD.  Using this same dough, I can make a fabulous and filling hot sandwich.  One option you can do in making the dough for this sandwich is adding herbs and spices into the flour mixture.

While my dough is rising I prepare the filling.  Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a large, heavy skillet that has been heated over a medium heat.  Add 1 1/2 pounds of ground meat.  (Remember I double the dough recipe and make two LARGE sandwiches.)  Chop the meat and let it brown.  As the meat is browning, add two minced cloves of garlic and 1/2 chopped onion.  Stir well as this continues to brown. Continue cooking as you add shredded vegetables.  We like to add a shredded carrot, a zucchini and a yellow squash.  I have added broccoli chopped up very fine, but the children prefer the squashes.  Add a sprinkling of salt and pepper, Spike seasoning, sage, basil, onion salt or whatever seasonings you prefer. My choices change each time I make this.

After your meat and veggies have cooked through, add one block of cream cheese.  Remove from heat and stir until cheese is completely melted.  On parchment paper, roll out the dough into a rectangle.  Pour mixture into the middle of the rectangle.  If you double this recipe, make two rectangles.  With kitchen shears, cut a strip from the outer edges of the dough to within 1/2 inch of the meat mixture.  Pull the strips up over the meat mixture while giving a little twist.  Do this until you have pulled all the dough over the meat mixture.  Place on a cookie sheet.  Let the sandwich sit for about 10 minutes for the dough to rise again.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until sandwich is lightly browned.

Raising Homemakers

2 comments:

The Freemans said...

This looks great. We eat alot around our home to. We have a favorite pizza dough recipe also. We make an inside-out pizza alot with ours. Just found your blog. Looking forward to it.

Roan said...

Thanks for posting the recipes here! I always have to find the email that Ginger sent me with the pizza crust recipe when I make pizza only (sometimes I just use 1/4 of my whole wheat bread dough for pizza). Now I will have all three recipes in one place! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...