Family

Family

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Blessings of Epi-pens, Ambulances, EMTs and Emergency Rooms


If you saw my earlier post from this week, you know I had a lot planned.  Lots of school work, lots of house work, lots of appointments and lots of kitchen work.  What I hadn't planned on was Caedmon having an anaphylactic reaction Tuesday evening!  We used the epi-pen, drove into town while giving him a breathing treatment and met the ambulance to complete the drive to the hospital.  

When his oxygen level was revealed they stepped up the pace to a code three so we arrived at the hospital in style with lights, sirens and flying through the streets of Tupelo!  We were blessed with wonderful care in the emergency room and Caedmon was quickly stablized and sleeping.  We stayed for a few hours to make sure all was ok and were home in our own beds by 11 o'clock.  Yesterday he was jumping on the trampoline.....steroids give him lots of energy!!

Unfortunately, this is something we are always watching for due to his severe allergies and asthma.  Also unfortunately, he is not our first child to be rushed to the hospital in an ambulance for the same problem. With six of our seven children having asthma and two of them with SEVERE food allergies days like Tuesday are always a possibility even with all the precautions we take.  Thankfully, we carry Epi-pens everywhere we go these days.  Using the Epi-pen bought us a little time on Tuesday night....time that very well could have proved life-saving.  

We are so thankful for the medical advancements for asthma sufferers that have been made in my lifetime.  My children don't have to suffer through long periods of wheezing as I did.  We are thankful for well-trained medical personel who acted quickly and kindly in making sure Caedmon had everything he needed.  It was amazing to us that the doctor thanked US for being kind, patient and well-informed about our child's condition.  Makes us wonder what ER personnel have to deal with on a daily basis.  Even in emergency situations it is important for us to let the love of Christ flow through us.  Others are always watching and every situation is an opportunity to show God's grace.

7 comments:

DeliveringGrace said...

So glad that he is now OK. We have many blessings from modern medicine. We, as a family, also have cause to be thankful for these blessings although for a different condition.
I love your last point too.

Cinnamon said...

Scary!! Praising God that he is okay and bouncing around :-)

I use to have allergies really bad in California. nearly year round. Every time I would get them they'd settle in my lungs and breathing became so difficult. I was always pregnant or nursing so they would never give me an inhaler or anything. I just knew some days I was going to die. It was so hard to breath.

Then we moved to Iowa. No allergies year round. Except I get them for exactly three weeks during the summer. And no breathing trouble during that time.

But if I get really sick it still settles in my lungs. I use a dab of peppermint oil to help clear up my breathing or put some in a bowl and set that bowl in my room with the door closed. It is a very very strong smell.

I had also discovered that mold was in one of our homes in CA where I was having lots of trouble breathing. Ugh...glad we don't live at that house anymore.

Want to know what else helped my breathing troubles....and I never would have thought it had anything to do with my breathing issues......Food allergies!

Since cutting way back on both dairy and gluten I can run without wheezing or feeling like my throat was going to close right up :-0

Okay I've written you a novel.

And sweet bloggy friend....don't worry about what has not gotten done. "IT" will always be there. Enjoy your holidays with love and peace.....THAT is worth everything.

hugs~ Cinnamon

Rachel E. said...

I am so happy to hear he is okay. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have children with asthma and severe allergies. God Bless as you work daily to protect him from things that could harm his precious system.

Celee said...

Wow! Praising God your little guy is alright.

Celee

Anita said...

Cinnamon, Caedmon is deathly allergic to wheat, eggs and dairy and is extremely allergic to many other things. He has never eaten eggs and has had smaller episodes after accidentally ingesting wheat or dairy. He had none of his known allergans on Tuesday. Our oldest daughter is severely asthmatic and uses an inhaler and nebulizer daily, even during pregnancies and so did I.

And isn't that the problem...when you don't get your list done it doesn't do itself!! Working slowly on getting things done without driving myself or the family crazy!

Jenifer Harrod said...

Thank the Lord he is alright.
My Dad has asthma and it gets pretty scary sometimes. Yes, being a witness at the hospital is hard sometimes.
www.feedingnineonadime.blogspot.com
is having a party today please come join us.

Kimberly @ Raising Olives said...

Praising God for His blessing of safety and good medical professionals.

Blessings,
Kimberly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...