Family

Family

Monday, January 4, 2010

Come On, I Dare You to Take This Challenge!!

6a00e552792fa288330128768383b9970c-pi.gif


Saturday I listed the contents of two of my freezers with the thoughts of not spending much on groceries during this next month.  I also have a well stocked pantry and plenty of baking supplies.  What a blessing!!  Then, I came across the Eat from the Pantry Challenge on Sunday and thought I would participate.  However, we generally try to keep up a good stock of food and are getting ready to develop more of a stock pile.  I do need to use up the freezer items first, though, so we will participate in the challenge and see how it goes.  I love a challenge!!  My problem will be looking at all the sale flyers with great deals right now....chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound call out to me!!!  And they are on sale right now at a local grocer.  Sigh!  We will probably eat from my list and add items for future use as I find them on special.  I think the real lesson here may be preparing a pantry and freezer stockpile that can see you through a season of hard times.  The wise woman in Proverbs always plans ahead.  Having a well-stocked food supply is just being wise, especially if you take advantage of sales and closeouts to do so.  So come on and join me, if you dare!

4 comments:

Laura said...

We have cooked this way for years and benefited from it. But this past year I had life threatening medical issues and a loss of job. I can't tell you how wonderful it's been to have this system in place, ready for an emergency. We've eaten well through it all. Do you have a favorite cookbook or website that you use? I think my favorite is Fix Freeze Feast by N&T. I just stumbled upon you blog but have enjoyed reading how another homeschooler runs things! Have a happy new year!

Debbie said...

We are doing the same thing and want to keep a stocked pantry so still purchase groceries that are on a great sale or I have a great coupon for a sale item. We have a family of 7, so our challenge this year is to reduce our grocery spending from $200 a week to $150 a week. However, I am finding out that since sales rotate and I do not always need as much each week that it is better to just budget for a month and not stress out if in the first week I spend more than $150. This week I was able to get some really great deals and stock up a lot. I did spend $170, but that is okay.:)

Kristie said...

I just purged my pantry because we had bugs in them. I love having a stocked pantry but now I'm trying to eat up what I buy as fast as I can. Two weeks bugs free! Sounds like a fun contest, and anyone out there who doesn't have back up food in their pantry, this would be a great contest for you!

Roan said...

Two things....
1. Those woods pictures of mine were actually taken last week, and yes it was cold! But Sam wears shorts year round...and no shoes, except for boots (no socks). He has on shorts and a t shirt today! Clay will not wear a coat, but will break down and wear a fleece if it is very cold like today. Strange!
2. We cannot eat from our pantry right now because I have been trying to reduce my grocery spending, and therefore have been buying just enough each week. I do have 2 pans of little cheesy meatloaves in the freezer. We eat one pan every other week. I have begun coupon clipping and weekly shopping at Walgreens and CVS, buying only their on sale items when I also have a coupon. I am saving a good bit of money over shopping at Walmart, plus I am getting those bucks back to spend next week. I have only done this for two weeks, so I haven't had a free trip yet, but close. I am trying to reduce our monthly walmart/kroger/sams spending by 25%. I would avoid walmart altogether, but that is the best place to buy cat food and kitty litter...plus murphy's oil soap for my floors. Maybe I can plan to buy 3 months of those products, and not frequent Walmart at all! I am also paying more attention to the Kroger sale paper, and buying what is on sale with my coupons....and planning my weekly menu around the sale items!
Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...