Family

Family

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Abiding

Abiding:  dwelling; remaining; continuing; enduring; waiting


(from Webster's Amercan Dictionary of the English Language--1828)


Our hymn this week was written by Henry Lyte in 1847.  The tune is EVENTIDE by William Monk, written in 1861.


Abide with me;  fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens;  Lord, with me abide;
When other helpers fail, and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me!


Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
Earth's joy grow dim, His glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me!


I need thy presence ev'ry passing hour;
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who like thyself my guide and stay can be?
Thro' cloud and sunshine, O abide with me!


Hold thou thy cross before me closing eyes;
Shine through  the gloom, and point me to the skies;
Heav'ns morning breaks and earth vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me!


O, Lord, please dwell, continue, remain and endure in me, with me and for me.  I need Your help, Your changeless Presence, Your guidance and Your direction each and every day, each and every moment.

2 comments:

Celee said...

I'm doing a Bible study right now called Becoming a Woman of Simplicity and this has been a major theme. I cannot order my day rightly, neither can I accomplish all I desire to without abiding in Him. If I could only remember that first thing in the morning before I start trying to prioritize and figure out my day on my own. I need to be constantly reminded, so thank you.

Em said...

I appreciate this so much, Anita, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...